The project seeks to achieve broadly the following goals:
- Identification of economic activities to foster linkages and partnerships in order to address scarce skills gaps,
- Ensuring an enabling environment for provision of education and training,
- Promoting continuous technological research development,
- Providing advice and promoting dialogue in respect to compliance with quality standards,
- Establishing an environmental framework for strategic development upon which the cities of the region, can base their development policies, plans and programmes involving opportunities and constraints that the environment places on development,
- Developing a set of guidelines and management principles to assist informed decision making to ensure development within sustainable limits,
- Identifying sensitive areas in terms of how anticipated future investments will impact the cities of the region and their surrounding rural areas environmentally and socio-economically,
- Assessment of environmentally possible alternatives for the development of residential, industrial, agricultural activities and infrastructure,
- Facilitating career-pathing, guidance and counselling, and
- Facilitating marketing and advocacy of opportunities within the breadth and length of the Mthwakazi regions.
The key themes of the Freedom Project include the following:
- Development of skills level,
- Capacity building,
- Information dissemination and
- Poverty eradication.